Author Topic: McAllen canal fishing  (Read 16717 times)

Offline ebayless

• On Fish
McAllen canal fishing
« on: Jan 07, 10 - 12:06:07 AM »
Broke my record today. Caught a huge bass in the McAllen canal system almost two pounds. Fell for the old crawfish pattern drifting in the current. I saw another fish that had to go three but made a bad cast and spooked him out.  Caught a handful more bass and some panfish with them. Not bad for three minutes from the house.

Offline fishin shallow

• Bowed Up
Re: McAllen canal fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 10 - 08:51:45 AM »
I hear the one that crosses Ware Rd north of 5 mile is a good one

Offline ebayless

• On Fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 10 - 10:18:02 AM »
Shhhh. Thats my secret spot. there is a little dam between 10th and 23rd and I almost always fish down from there. There are carp in there sometimes and I've heard how people catch them on the fly but I haven't been able to get them to even look at anything no matter how small it is.

Offline mnmhough21

• Net Man
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 10 - 02:42:47 PM »
Yo guys, help a brother out...I live in Weslaco and need to find a place to fish...can you tell me or show me a map of where this is?  I'm dying from lack of fishing over here.

Offline ebayless

• On Fish
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 10 - 04:28:37 PM »
All of the valley canals that have constant flow and are deep enough have fish, they can be hard to catch sometimes because they are always changing the depth and flow of them, but catch one on the right day and you can do a lot better than you think. Just watch out for snakes and don't drive down them when they are muddy.

Offline ebayless

• On Fish
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 10 - 05:55:56 PM »
Like I said, a little moving water a little depth and shazam!

Offline Honulea

• Bowed Up
  • "Pesca La Onda"
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 10 - 06:09:36 PM »
... good job!

"Pesca La Onda"

Offline mnmhough21

• Net Man
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 10 - 09:40:28 PM »
I dont know much about RGV carp  but I used to hammer em in Central Tx using a dough bait made from wheaties mixed with a little molasses vanilla and enough water to mix it up.  Should be nice and thick.  Anyway, what do you guys fish with?  Live bait, lures, what?  Anyone know if there are any canals near Weslaco?

Offline Darth Wader

• Bowed Up
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 10 - 09:55:30 PM »
I dont know much about RGV carp  but I used to hammer em in Central Tx using a dough bait made from wheaties mixed with a little molasses vanilla and enough water to mix it up.  Should be nice and thick.  Anyway, what do you guys fish with?  Live bait, lures, what?  Anyone know if there are any canals near Weslaco?

You may want to PM my in law, Epcarpfan, he uses meatballs and some kind of crumbs, throws them in the resaca the night before and he catches a string load of carp the following morning.

Offline ebayless

• On Fish
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 10 - 08:50:22 AM »
I don't know about Weslaco, but there is a big one in Mercedes that runs up 491, I'm sure it has fish in it.  There is also that resaca or whatever it is just north of Progreso on 1015, I have seen people fishing in there and have wanted to put my kayak in there but never have, I don't know if there are fish in there or not, the water seems to be really muddy every time I cross through there. As for baits, if I am not fly fishing I throw LITTLE crank baits and LITTLE in-line spinner baits 1/4 oz. or less.  I have never done any good with big baits or plastics at all.

Offline rookiefish3

• Bowed Up
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 10 - 11:42:15 AM »
I dont know much about RGV carp  but I used to hammer em in Central Tx using a dough bait made from wheaties mixed with a little molasses vanilla and enough water to mix it up.  Should be nice and thick.  Anyway, what do you guys fish with?  Live bait, lures, what?  Anyone know if there are any canals near Weslaco?
There's 2 in Weslaco. I have fished them both but I dont know anything about canal fishing but i usually go with buddies just to hang out. I have the same question about what bait to use? I usually throw shrimp but I don't know if those canal fishes go for shrimp. I have caught some though. I see people fishing them quite often. If you need directions shoot me a pm.

Offline ebayless

• On Fish
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 10 - 12:11:46 PM »
For lures anything that puts out a vibration seems to work, go with the brighter colors when there has been more water flow because the water is not as clear and throw the natural looking stuff when you can see a lot of the bottom.  I use small bomber fire tiger crank baits (the little fat ones) or red and white Mepps in line spinners or the natural looking crank baits when it's clear. Try to stick with the smaller stuff, I have caught five pound bass out of them with 1/8 and 1/4 oz spinner baits.  In the evening you can't beet a little chug bug or jitterbug or something like that.  I can't figure out how to get plastics to work in moving water, not saying they don't but I haven't caught anything with them and have tried a couple of times.

Offline mnmhough21

• Net Man
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 10 - 06:23:18 PM »
Are  most of these canals pretty snag free or is there a lot of structure (trees, limbs, etc)?

Offline ebayless

• On Fish
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 10 - 10:31:59 PM »
The irrigation district keeps them pretty clean so there is almost no structure at all. It's kind of weird fishing for bass with no structure and the fish cruise around a lot since they don't have anything to hold to. It's almost like fishing for trout in a river look for slower currents on the sides if there is a lot of flow and if there is not a lot of flow you just kind of have to find them. They do tend to kind of hang around together though so if you get one don't move for a while.

Offline SHLWh20Angler

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 10 - 02:06:41 PM »
Broke my record today. Caught a huge bass in the McAllen canal system almost two pounds. Fell for the old crawfish pattern drifting in the current. I saw another fish that had to go three but made a bad cast and spooked him out.  Caught a handful more bass and some panfish with them. Not bad for three minutes from the house.

I have caught some bass in the canals of Rio Hondo! Right behind the baseball field! Using spinner baits! What bout in Harlingen? Any good spots?