Author Topic: Cedar Bayou and CCA Texas  (Read 3274 times)

Offline J.Dean

• CEO
  • Bowed Up
    • Texas Flats Fishing
Cedar Bayou and CCA Texas
« on: Jan 06, 10 - 03:39:14 PM »
Link to the article.

Facts About Cedar Bayou and CCA Texas

CCA Texas has long supported the efforts to open Cedar Bayou. Cedar Bayou is a natural pass that separates St. Jose and Matagorda Islands. This natural pass was originally closed in 1979 in an effort to prevent oil, from the1979 Ixtoc I oil spill near Campeche, Mexico, from entering into the Mesquite Bay system. This pass was closed along with most others along the Texas coast. Since that time the bayou has been dredged, opened by gulf storms and has closed multiple times. Currently, Cedar Bayou is closed.

Questions & Facts

* Has CCA Texas monetarily supported the efforts of Save Cedar Bayou, Inc. to open Cedar Bayou? CCA Texas has supported Save Cedar Bayou, Inc. (SCBI) efforts to open the pass on two different occasions.  CCA Texas originally contributed $15,000 to SCBI in April of 1986.  In 2004, CCA Texas contributed $10,000 when the SCBI began its latest efforts to open Cedar Bayou and to obtain the necessary permit to do so.

* Besides these monetary contributions, how else has CCA Texas supported the opening of Cedar Bayou? CCA Texas has written multiple letters of support to the Corp of Engineers during the permitting process. In addition, when contacted by the Governor’s office and Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, CCA Texas has stated their full support for the opening of Cedar Bayou to these offices.

* Why does CCA Texas never mention Vinsons Slough in their comments regarding the opening of Cedar Bayou? The opening of Vinson’s Slough goes hand in hand with the opening of Cedar Bayou and the current studies and engineering of SCB’s contract engineering firm shows that this is the desired situation for keeping Cedar Bayou open. Referencing this project as “The Opening of Cedar Bayou” is inclusive of re-opening Vinson’s Slough per engineering designs submitted to the Corp of Engineers for permitting.

* Has CCA Texas attended any local public meetings regarding the opening of Cedar Bayou? Yes, CCA Texas has had representives attend the general public meeting called by Aransas County Judge Burt Mills on August 21, 2009 to listen and further understand areas of concern and CCA Texas Executive Director also attended the meeting called by Judge Mills on October 2, 2009.

* Is CCA Texas under the influence of local land owners by any monetary contributions? Absolutely not. CCA Texas always has and always will put the interest of Texas’s coastal resources first.

For more information regarding CCA Texas’s position and support of Cedar Bayou, please feel free to contact John Blaha at 713.626.4222

Offline J.Dean

• CEO
  • Bowed Up
    • Texas Flats Fishing
Re: Cedar Bayou and CCA Texas
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 10 - 03:48:43 PM »
I'd also like to state that I've known from day one that CCA has supported the restoration of Cedar Bayou / Vincent Slough.. How did I know? Rather than bash them on the internet, I called and ask them.

Lynn said it best... CCA has supported this project, them "taking it over" would be like us taking over a project of theirs.. That obviously won't happen.

I'm glad to get to post this because I'm sick of reading the complaints, criticisms, and conspiracy theories. Now maybe those few will focus on the real people that are preventing this project from moving forward, and that is none other than USFWS.

My suggestion is to contact USFWS and let them know what you think at: http://www.fws.gov/duspit/contactus.htm

Offline Ankle Deep

• Bowed Up
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 10 - 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks. I'm going  to start calling you Joe Friday because you give   "just the facts"!!!

Offline txrex

• On Fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 10 - 04:12:18 PM »
Protecting America's Wildlife Resources
Service, State Seek Whooping Crane Killer
December 16, 2009
Fish and Wildlife Service special agents and investigators from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources are joining forces to track down the person who shot and killed the only female whooping crane that has hatched a chick that has successfully migrated from captivity.

I am glad to see that the USFWS is willing to go all out to track down the individual responsible for killing a single Whooping Crane. I would like to know what the USFWS is doing about a situation on the Texas coast that is responsible for the death of dozens of these birds. The closing of Cedar Bayou has blocked the migration route of the blue crabs that make up the bulk of the birds diet in the Aransas NWR. If we are determined enough to mount a manhunt to defend these birds, we should be determined enough to dredge a blocked natural fish pass to keep them from starving to death. Please explain why the USFWS is opposed to the opening of Cedar Bayou.

Thank you,
Txrex

Offline rwl1948

• Global Moderator
  • Bowed Up
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 10 - 08:03:33 PM »
I think CCA has done more then most people realize, I am glad they are helping with this important issue, and I support what they are doing.  THANKS CCA

Offline J.Dean

• CEO
  • Bowed Up
    • Texas Flats Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 10 - 08:12:33 PM »
Another nugget about USFWS... While they are tracking that individual that shot a Crane (which I totally support), they are having controlled burns on the Blackjack Peninsula while the Cranes are here! Our bays already lack blue crab and we're burning there other food sources?

USFWS really needs to be investigated! Their recent and current actions in the Rockport area defy logic.. Are they really looking out for the resource?

Offline heavyduty

• Admin
  • Bowed Up
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 10 - 08:35:05 PM »
l would like to say that I had a feeling that they were behind this project all along. I am a CCA member and have been for many years. It makes me feel good to know that I contribute to an organization that puts the resource first. Thank you to all CCA board members and fellow CCA members for supporting this project.

Offline RED RAIDER

• Global Moderator
  • Bowed Up
  • WRECK 'EM TECH
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 10 - 07:30:09 AM »
I am glad to know that CCA is supporting this.  Thanks for stepping up CCA.

Offline igottafish

• Bowed Up
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 10 - 02:38:16 PM »
Salute to CCA for stepping up and supporting the project.