Author Topic: Basic Popping Cork Rig - Please Help!  (Read 12670 times)

Offline heeman

• On Fish
Basic Popping Cork Rig - Please Help!
« on: Aug 10, 09 - 07:57:15 AM »
Can someone show me how to rig a Basic Popping Cork?

There are some out there with Heavy Mono Leaders and some with Wire.

Do I attach the jig head or bait on a hook directly to the Snap Swivel, or do I attach additional line and weight?

Please help a rookie here!

Offline darkom

• Bowed Up
Re: Basic Popping Cork Rig - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 09 - 08:40:03 AM »
I am not a pro...I can help but what are you using a popping cork for? How you rig depends on what you are trying to use it for.

Offline heeman

• On Fish
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 09 - 09:54:20 AM »
That's a great question???

If I was to rig it for Trout or Reds does it differ significantly??

Clear water vs. Mirky water?

Deep vs. Shallow?

Not sure, I am new to this and this is why I am asking this question.

Thanks for your help.

Offline RED RAIDER

• Global Moderator
  • Bowed Up
  • WRECK 'EM TECH
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 09 - 10:03:53 AM »
http://www.midcoastproducts.com/fishingcorks.htm

There are many ways to rig a cork but here is what I do. However I only fish with artifical lures so if you mess with bait then you may rig different.

Offline bigrggiii

• Bowed Up
  • Rey and I
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 09 - 10:05:28 AM »
I just buy the pre-rigged-cork (clackers, beads and swivels) without any leader attached, and I tie 20# mono as a leader from the cork to the hook or jig head.

For live shrimp I use a treble hook, but my preference the past couple of years is to use a 3" gulp shrimp on a 1/8 oz jig head.

I use about a 20" drop from the cork.

Offline bigrggiii

• Bowed Up
  • Rey and I
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 09 - 10:07:06 AM »
http://www.midcoastproducts.com/fishingcorks.htm

There are many ways to rig a cork but here is what I do. However I only fish with artifical lures so if you mess with bait then you may rig different.

I have never done it like that, I always tie the leader to the bottom of my cork.

Offline Darth Wader

• Bowed Up
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 09 - 10:10:59 AM »
Get a popping cork, #20 leader (mono), hook. The less hardware( snaps , swivels, etc. , the better)
Tie a Palomar or uni knot to the bottom of the cork, keep the leader shorter than the shallow depth of where you are fishing. If fishing 3 feet or more, 30 inches is fine,,,,a little bit longer for deeper water. When the water is two feet or so, leave a foot of leader after tying the hook on. Use treble for shrimp, jigs for lures, # 4 single hook with live baitfish. Tie on palomar or uni knot to the swivel on top of the cork. You do not need havy mono or wire leaders. #20-#30 is just fine. Trouts #20   Reds #30  Every once in a while after catching fish, check the line next to the hook for abrasion and trim off worn line and retie.

I like to use it in offcolor, brown, green, black water except clear. In clear water fish can see the lures, jigs, baits better compared to dirty water.

Offline Squid

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 09 - 11:46:39 AM »
Get your basic 3.5 inch wieghted popping cork.  Thirty pound test leader,( about 12-14 inches. Two Spro 80# test swivels, they're real small.  Two red beads, one for above the cork and one for below the cork.  Run the leader through the cork, put the beads on the leader, and tie the swivels on each end.  The guys are correct when they say "you want as little hardware as possible", reds don't seem to mind that much, but trout are REAL pickey about it.  Anyway, you should have about 8 inches or so of leader running through the cork stem when you are through tying everything together.  The beads provide protection of the swivel knots as well as clicking every time you pop the cork.  That's how I do it, hope this helps.

Offline Squid

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 09 - 11:49:34 AM »
  I forgot the most important part, tie about 18-22 inches of flourocarbon leader to the lower swivel and the tie your hook to that.  15# to 20# flourocarbon leader should do the trick.