Author Topic: Sail Line Fishing  (Read 12096 times)

Offline Brazos

• Bowed Up
Sail Line Fishing
« on: Mar 09, 09 - 03:10:36 PM »
Does anyone Sail Line the flats on this board?
Brazos

http://phartattack.tripod.com/sailline.htm

Offline Darth Wader

• Bowed Up
Re: Sail Line Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 09 - 03:54:32 PM »
I have seen a rig like this sometimes off the bay shoreline with SE or E winds,,,,,it says that it can be used out to 1800 feet,,,,that is 600 yards of line.

What is there is a shallow shoreline hugger running in between the sail and the anchor point? 

How will this prevent a cut line? 

Offline Pita Quilter

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 09 - 04:00:09 PM »
I have never seen or used. It looks like it would probably work pretty good. This is Brazos I was setting up my wife's profile for her.
Brazos

Offline pkee

• Bowed Up
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 09 - 04:36:28 PM »
I have seen someone using a sail line in South Bay . I think thay should make them put floating flags on them every 10 feet . You can not see them from the boat when you are running . You can see something floating ,(so you go around it) but you have no idea what it is until you are on top of it .
 And yes you cut them when you run over them . Then it takes you 30 minutes to get the line out of your prop . Thay kill a lot of fish ,that are under size . I vote to make them illegal .!. ( If you need that much fish , then you need to go and buy it from a commercal fisherman .)
 As you can tell i had a bad experience with one . 

Offline fishin shallow

• Bowed Up
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 09 - 05:03:08 PM »
You see alot of it in the Corpus area or at least I have.

Offline Darth Wader

• Bowed Up
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 09 - 07:55:40 PM »
I have never seen or used. It looks like it would probably work pretty good. This is Brazos I was setting up my wife's profile for her.
Brazos

Ah ha, welcome to the site ma'am,,,,was nice meeting you at the fishing show. Did you get corns on your feet waiting for Brazos to go on home,,,,really kept you waiting there,,,,you were like all ready to go with all the bags and pole,,,,and Brazos sorts of getting ready to leave and stops and keeps on chatting,,,,two or three times in a row.    ;)   Way to go Brazos having your wife up on here. Soon you two should be great fishing partners.

Offline Brazos

• Bowed Up
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 09 - 08:48:44 PM »
I have been fishing with her for twenty five years. I have been to Lord only knows how many fishing, boating, machine shows with her and I am still alive. Thanks babe for not killing me. That show was so cool. I am so glad that I got to meet you Darth.
Brazos

Offline Pita Quilter

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 09 - 09:12:32 PM »
Darth,
It was so nice to meet you. You have a lovely family.
I didn't get any corns waiting on Brazos (thanks for asking)...I'm sorta used to it. Ha!
I'm so happy he got to hang out with you and meet up with a couple other guys in the group.
I hear so much about you guys, I almost feel that you all are family. I enjoyed hanging out with my dad and hope that I didn't seem unsocial to you. I just wanted Brazos to have a good time with his friends.
I can't wait to get know you all and know that I will learn a lot from you. I've seen pictures of the fish you all catch. One day... I'll catch one big enough to take a pic. of.
Pitaquilter

PS. As far as me holding the bags and the pole I think that, the only reason they bring me along is to carry all of their stuff! Ha!
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 09 - 09:18:20 PM by Pita Quilter »

Offline Darth Wader

• Bowed Up
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 09 - 09:41:28 PM »
Darth,
It was so nice to meet you. You have a lovely family.
I didn't get any corns waiting on Brazos (thanks for asking)...I'm sorta used to it. Ha!
I'm so happy he got to hang out with you and meet up with a couple other guys in the group.
I hear so much about you guys, I almost feel that you all are family. I enjoyed hanging out with my dad and hope that I didn't seem unsocial to you. I just wanted Brazos to have a good time with his friends.
I can't wait to get know you all and know that I will learn a lot from you. I've seen pictures of the fish you all catch. One day... I'll catch one big enough to take a pic. of.
Pitaquilter
PS. As far as me holding the bags and the pole I think that, the only reason they bring me along is to carry all of their stuff! Ha!

Unsocial,,,,no way. You are one of us, one big family.  ;)

Offline Capt Mike Cook

• Global Moderator
  • Bowed Up
    • Cook's Guide Service
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 09 - 05:06:22 AM »
Mrs. Brazos welcome to the family. I know what you mean about carrying all the stuff. My wife refers to me as her "Mall Mule"

Offline heavyduty

• Admin
  • Bowed Up
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 09 - 07:41:34 PM »
One of my buddies dad has one that he uses in Nueces Bay quite often. I have run the line with them before just killing time and enjoying some adult beverages. There are quite a few people in the area between Portland and Corpus that use them. They have never had any trouble with boats cutting the line since the line is slack and drags across the bottom. But then again you are talking 2 to 3 ft of water in most places so the prop and lower unit just go right over the top. I have seen them bring in some nice reds, trout and flounder. One of the trout was just over 30" also. I have also seen some monster sting rays almost pull the whole thing in and break the main line which is weedeater line on these home made rigs.

There is a real trick or art to doing it and making it hit the reef you want or the structure that is 200 yards off shore. There is a lot of watching with binoculars and such. It can be fun and relaxing for sure.       

Offline pkee

• Bowed Up
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 09 - 07:58:09 PM »
South Bay , is very shallow. The main channels are deep but every where is 1'  deep . The edges is where the mangroves are in 6" to 8" and i love to drift the where the Snook live .

Offline JDA

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 10 - 03:15:39 PM »
Does anyone Sail Line the flats on this board?
Brazos

http://phartattack.tripod.com/sailline.htm
I was the second person to fish a sail line (1967) on the Texas coast.  I would consider myself the best out there due to my many many hours of trial and error.  I got the rig and I know how to fish it ... for example ... when i peeked I was fishing two lines at 25 hooks a piece, 600 live shrimp at a dollar and a nickel a pint, out of the water and headed to the fish house usually around 2 in the afternoon.  I got 35 cents a pound for trout, redfish and flounder gutted and gilled.  My daily checks from the fish house were between $75 and $150...do the math.  My name is Doug and I know the ropes when it comes to sail line fishing.  If interested on rigging one out or how to fish it I'm at texsouthpaw@aol.com

Offline Llama

• Bowed Up
    • scenicvalleylodge.com
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 11 - 11:21:30 AM »
I hate those things! It is a lazy way to catch and usually they take more than their limit. Not to mention it doesn't even give you the thrill of fighting the fish. Boring!
Here we go again....Bashing somebodies preferred method of fishing that doesn't conform to your personal preference. Have you ever tried it? Have you ever counted a kite fishermans catch or is your statement that they take more than their limit just anectdotal?
As long as a person's preferred method of fishing is legal then who are we to judge? I have never tried it nor do I intend to try it. However, I respect everyone else's right to fish any way that's legal.

Offline fishin-addict

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 11 - 09:32:24 PM »
Haven't tried it and would not like to. I have had more than one who does tell me that they have taken more than their limit and under and over sized. That is just my opinion, I just do not like it.