Author Topic: Shoalwater Boats  (Read 7246 times)

Offline txredfisherman18

• Chasing Bait
Shoalwater Boats
« on: Aug 04, 10 - 11:14:30 AM »
Do any of yall own a shoalwater boat. I got to see some the other day and i think it might possibly be my dream boat. Any idea how much these run? I really like the 21 and 23 cat and also the 16 cat. Anyone have any input on these boats?

Offline heeman

• On Fish
Re: Shoalwater Boats
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 10 - 11:52:17 AM »
I do not own one, however, I love the looks of the 16' Cat, however for upwards of $24K delivered, it would have to be an incredible perfomer, because that is some major bucks for a 16 footer!

Offline shoalcat_james

• Bowed Up
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 10 - 12:59:10 PM »
That's about the going price these days. Txredfish18, please don't  take this wrong but I have a question. Will this be your first true bay boat?  The reason I ask, is the way take it from a couple of your post. Get a boat you can handle incase you put it on a sand bar. Figure out you top dollar. Then locate boat to maximize horse power. You will be totally unhappy with a 21-23' cat and they talk you into a 115 hp more to push it. I saw on another post you were looking between 20-30 thousand. You take a $24,000. boat and add anything that is really nice for a flats boat, you gonna be in the $30 + range. For instants " trolling motor and wiring $1100., Power Pole $1450., hydraulic steering $1100. ,GPS $1050., Aluminum work so one. All I'm saying is figure out what you want on your boat, try and go max horse power that the hull will allow and get aluminum trailer. Get a boat that allows for them things and keeps you in budget. Most people will buy a under power boat, and say I'll add items later. They never get the added items and not happy with the performance. Jus my thoughts on it.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 10 - 03:33:15 PM by shoalcat_james »

Offline txredfisherman18

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 10 - 02:05:18 PM »
I own a boat but its an aluminum center console with a 90 hp. SO i guess yes this would be my first true bay boat. Thats why I'm asking everyone what would be a good boat. I just want something i can afford and be happy with. I dont need all the fancy stuff yet. i.e. Powerpole, etc. I just want something with a reliable motor that can get skinny, that i can add stuff to later on if i want.

Offline fishin shallow

• Bowed Up
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 10 - 03:33:03 PM »
James got it right on. Some dealers rig their boats with less HP to get to a certain price point. When I bought my boat the salesman kept insisting that I put a 115 on back and that it was more that enough hp. I told him I wanted a 150 and finally they quoted the boat that way. Almost seemed like I was spending his money. Anyhow, it was the first one they ever rigged with a 150 at the time and when we went out in it, he was amazed with the difference.
Try to get within 80-85% of the max HP to get the best results. My boat was rated for 175hp.
IMO it seems like the 23 shoalwater cat has to short of a tunnel but then again I am not a boat manufacture. I saw one a couple of weeks ago with an elevated driving tower and the guy was churning up mud in 2' of water. But then again maybe the guy likes buying props.

Offline devil1824

• On Fish
  • I'll keep dreamin
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 10 - 03:47:16 PM »
That's about the going price these days. Txredfish18, please don't  take this wrong but I have a question. Will this be your first true bay boat?  The reason I ask, is the way take it from a couple of your post. Get a boat you can handle incase you put it on a sand bar. Figure out you top dollar. Then locate boat to maximize horse power. You will be totally unhappy with a 21-23' cat and they talk you into a 115 hp more to push it. I saw on another post you were looking between 20-30 thousand. You take a $24,000. boat and add anything that is really nice for a flats boat, you gonna be in the $30 + range. For instants " trolling motor and wiring $1100., Power Pole $1450., hydraulic steering $1100. ,GPS $1050., Aluminum work so one. All I'm saying is figure out what you want on your boat, try and go max horse power that the hull will allow and get aluminum trailer. Get a boat that allows for them things and keeps you in budget. Most people will buy a under power boat, and say I'll add items later. They never get the added items and not happy with the performance. Jus my thoughts on it.

X2 Shoalcat,  Luckily I am not in the boat market yet cause I cant make up my mind on which one to get. I have been looking for over a year now and keep changing my mind on what I really need. This time next year I hope to have made up my mind. So my point is to take your time and make sure u think it through.

Offline shoalcat_james

• Bowed Up
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 10 - 03:58:20 PM »
Of all things, a power pole is not a "fancy" item on a flats boat. I would give up my trolling motor, sonar, and front casting platform to have a power pole. If you fish alot of shell reefs or flats, you not believe how handy it is for placing your boat, pulling anchor, or stopping on a dime when you see some fish. I find a power pole as important as a jack plate. Nothing like throwing a anchor in two foot of water and find there's no fish and pull up to move. Push a button; you anchor; not catching, push a button and un-anchor and drift. If you can get the added items up front in your note. Try and capitalize all possibilities for finacing.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 10 - 05:41:15 PM by shoalcat_james »

Offline Darth Wader

• Bowed Up
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 10 - 07:13:53 PM »
I saw one a couple of weeks ago with an elevated driving tower and the guy was churning up mud in 2' of water. But then again maybe the guy likes buying props.

Was the boat red?

Offline txredfisherman18

• Chasing Bait
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 10 - 09:35:34 AM »
Shoalcat thats a good point i never thought of it that way. You guys sure are giving me some great advice and i appreciate it. So you say buy used because thats more in my price range, but I dont know what to look for and who i can trust! I dont want to buy a "lemon" boat. So what do I look for in a used boat? The last thing i want is a boat that has problems!!

Offline evil fish

• Angler
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 10 - 10:49:56 AM »
The last thing i want is a boat that has problems!!

then buy a kayak.  J/K.  good luck on finding what you want. 

Offline fishin shallow

• Bowed Up
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 10 - 02:32:43 PM »
Was the boat red?

No, the  boat that I think your talking about is a Fat Cat. This was a 23' Shoalwater cat with a white powder coated drive tower. From the looks of it, it was a tourney boat prefishing the TRS